Jackson County, Indiana, History
Welcome to the Jackson County, Indiana, History & Picture Archive.
Here you will have access to a growing collection of texts and pictures about this southern Indiana county.
The images are among a few thousand photographs and other documents converted to digital format during the project in the winter and spring of 2002. Only a selection of the images so far has been prepared for display on the Website that went online in May 2002. Viewers are invited to return as more images are added.
Currently images are placed in only one category on the table of contents but would just as easily fit into another category so it may be necessary to check more than one place. For example, street scenes under Recreation: Celebrations or Weather Report or even Transportation might show businesses or homes that could as easily have been listed under the appropriate business category.
The digitized images are those made from both copies and original prints offered by individuals and organizations who have collected the images for years – out of a love and appreciation of the past from which the county has grown, out of a love and appreciation of their own families, friends and neighbors.
The Jackson County Digital Archive Project does not own the materials from which the digital collection was produced and therefore cannot give or deny permission relating to use of the materials. Determining rights and restrictions created by copyright and privacy or publicity rights may be difficult and such determination is the obligation of the user.
The federal Institute of Museums and Library Services funded the project under provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered by the Indiana State Library. A goal in addition to providing the images for study and enjoyment is conservation of documents that are disappearing through age and neglect and that are further damaged by repeated handling in their original state.
Where is Jackson County & how was it settled?
Erected in 1816 as Indiana became a state, Jackson County is today at the crossroads of Interstate 65 and US 50, about halfway between Indianapolis and Louisville. The East Fork of the White River bisects it northeast to southwest.
Permanent settlement spread in the early 1800s from the V where the Muscatatuck, which forms most of the southern boundary, joins the White River (known in early days as the Driftwood). Vallonia, just south of the county seat of Brownstown, is believed to have been an early location for French traders and once was considered as location for the state capital and the county seat.
Seymour in the northeast corner became the largest incorporated area shortly after north-south and east-west railroads intersected there about 1852.
Hosted by the Jackson County Public Library, Seymour, Indiana
Last Updated July 2002