Jackson County, Indiana, History & Picture Archive

Reading: 1886: History of Jackson County, Indiana. Brant and Fuller.

Go to Page: , View pages per screen

Search Available Titles

Previous Page(s) Next Page(s)
 
 
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 631
==============================


politics, and is nearly "three score and ten," and is distinguished
for having lived a straightforward and upright life, which is a
heritage more valuable than wealth. To such men more than to
any others the present generation implicitly look for moral prin-
ciples and teachings.

GEORGE W. BEEZLEY, one of the leading farmers and
citizens of Carr Township, was born March 7, 1827, in Lawrence
County, Ind. His parents were Isaiah and Sally (Mullen) Beez-
ley, who came to Indiana from North Carolina and Kentucky
about 1814. George was the eldest of a family of five, and was
raised on a farm, which was congenial to his taste, and he became
a farmer accordingly, and now owns 327 acres of land. He is
one of the many American citizens who have succeeded by dint of
hard labor and frugality, which is the only sure road for the
honest farmer. In 1849 he was married to Mary A.
Plummer, daughter of Thomson J. Plummer; she died, leaving
two children: Silas W. and William N. In 1857 he was
again married to Rebecca A. Reed, daughter of John Reed,
of Lawrence County. To this union there were born five
children: Susan C., Thomas B., John I., Clarinda Ida and an in-
fant. Losing his second companion, he again married, in 1869,
a Miss Eliza R. Breckenridge, of Lawrence County, Ind., who was
a native of Kentucky, but, together with her parents, came to
Indiana in an early day. Mr. Beezley is a member of the
Christian Church, and is a Democrat in politics.

HON. GEORGE W. CARR, of Carr Township, was born in
Clarke County, Ind., October 7, 1807. He is the second of a
family of six children born to Thomas and Margaret (Buchanan)
Carr, who came to Clarke County from Mercer County, Ky., in the
year 1804. He removed with his parents to Jackson County in
1811; where he remained until 1831, when he removed to Law-
rence County. In 1853 he was appointed receiver of public money
by President Pierce, and in consequence moved to Jeffersonville,
where he remained two years, when the office was discontinued.
Leaving Jeffersonville, he returned to Jackson County and located
on the farm where he now lives. While in Lawrence County, he
served the people nine years in the State Legislature; serving six
years in the lower house and three years in the Senate. While in




Click to view Original Scan
Previous Page(s) Next Page(s)

Back to start page