678 HISTORY OF JACKSON COUNTY.
only one of whom is living, James. Mrs. Burke died in 1879.
He remarried to Sarah Scoby, who is a native of Ireland. Three
children were born to this union: William, Mary and Charley.
He is a member of the Catholic Church.
PETER L. CARTER was born February 28, 1820, in Grassy
Fork Township, Jackson Co., Ind. He was the seventh in a fam-
ily of thirteen children born to Job and Gracy (Sneed) Carter.
The former was a native of Maryland, the latter of Virginia.
Both were of English extraction. They were married in Stafford
County, Va., November 8, 1808, and remained in Virginia till
four of the thirteen children were born, after which they removed
to Clark's Reservation, in Clarke County, lnd., where the five
were born. They next removed to Jennings County, Ind., where
they remained one year, then came to Jackson County in 1817,
and permanently located in Grassy Fork Township, where the
subject of this sketch first saw the light of day, in an old log
cabin, with dirt floor. He was reared upon a farm, and under-
went all the hardships incident to pioneer life. He received but a
limited education, frequently going three miles to the near-
est schoolhouse, through an unbroken forest. By a system of
self-culture he acquired a sufficient knowledge of the common
branches to enable him to teach, which vocation he followed in
and about Brownstown later on. He was married, in August,
1847, to Sarah Elizabeth, the daughter of Austin and Jane Gould.
Mr. Carter's wife died in 1878. About the year 1850 Mr. Carter
engaged in business at what is now known as Dudleytown, this
county, and after five years removed to New Farmington, where
he continued his mercantile pursuits, and in this connection acted
as agent for the Jeffersonville, Madison & Indianapolis Railroad,
at this place. In the spring of 1861 he removed to Seymour.
where he established a store, handling general merchandise,
building his own store and residence. Mr. Carter assisted in the
establishment of the spoke factory of Seymour, and also invested
in a stock stave factory. He was always an active and ardent
supporter of the common school system, and when the town was
incorporated he was elected school trustee. This position he held
for twelve years, during which time he built the schools up to
the standard of excellence that has since characterized them.
Click to view Original Scan|