712 HISTORY OF JACKSON COUNTY.
and also served three years in the Territorial Legislature, and
one year as a member of the Senate after the organization of
the State; then three years as treasurer of Otoe County, Neb.
In 1870 he returned East, settling at Seymour. Seven children
have been born: Minerva J., Matilda A., Ursula F., Columbus L.,
Louisa C., Ada A. and Oliver H. He has held the position of
justice of the peace of Seymour for thirteen years. On the 26th
of November, 1885, he celebrated his golden wedding, upon
which occasion he was made the recipient of many valuable
presents by his friends. In politics he is a Democrat, and in
religious belief a Universalist.
EMIL E. RETTIG was born March 28, 1854, on the pres-
ent John R. Hamilton farm, adjoining Brownstown. His grand-
father, Robert Cunningham, homesteaded said farm, coming
from West Virginia, when his daughter, Elizabeth (mother of
our subject), was about thirteen years of age. Edward Rettig,
the father, was a native of Baden-Baden, Germany, and highly
educated for the ministry at Heidelberg University. He came to
this country, and had charge of a church near Brownstown at
the time he was married, in 1853. He subsequently became a
chaplain in the regular army, and died at Albuquerque, N. M.,
in 1856. Emil E. Rettig was on a farm most of the time until
thirteen years of age. He attended school at the Miller School-
house, also at Ewing and Brownstown, all in Brownstown Town-
ship, and received a good common school education. In 1867 he
became an apprentice to Mr. Henry M. Beadle, so well known as
a publisher in this county, to learn the printer's trade. He sub-
sequently worked for William Frysinger, in the Brownstown Ban-
ner office, and in 1871 went to New Albany, Ind., where Hon.
M. C. Kerr secured him a situation on the Ledger. He next
worked one year for Mr. A. A. Davison, on the Seymour Democrat.
Still later he was employed in some of the largest and best print-
ing offices of Cincinnati, Ohio, Indianapolis, Lafayette, St. Paul,
Minneapolis, and in 1875 on the Burlington, Iowa, Hawkeye.
He left the last named office in July, 1875, and with Mr. Henry
M. Beadle, purchased the Seymour Weekly Democrat. In 1876
he became sole proprietor, and in 1877 established the Daily
Magnet, and later changed its name to Daily Democrat, and then
Click to view Original Scan|