Jackson County, Indiana, History & Picture Archive

Reading: 1886: History of Jackson County, Indiana. Brant and Fuller.

Go to Page: , View pages per screen

Search Available Titles

Previous Page(s) Next Page(s)
 
 
742 HISTORY OF JACKSON COUNTY.
==================================


1868, when he began the wagon-maker's trade. December 29,
1882, he mourned the death of his wife; and June 24, 1883,
he married Rettie Smith of this county. In 1882 he was appointed
postmaster, and at once began keeping a line of notions, groceries,
etc. He belongs to the G. A. R., and is a Democrat. Mr. Cross
has been quite successful thus far in life. He and wife are mem-
bers of the United Brethren Church, in which he is an officer.

S. Z. CROSS, who now lives in Salt Creek Township, was
born in Brownstown Township, this county, July 18, 1842. He
is the eldest son of Jacob and Eliza (Richards) Cross of Tennes-
see and Kentucky. His early education was limited to the country
schools of his time. His marriage with Anna R. DeLong, a native of
Ohio, was solemnized October 3, 1866. Of their eight children
only six are now living: Ralph R., Samuel J., Florilla, Emil E.,
Edna V. and Ida I. Mr. Cross has always been engaged in farm-
ing, although he has worked some at carpentering. He volun-
teered in the Fiftieth Indiana Regiment, in October, 1861, and
served until September, 1865. His political faith has always been
that of a Democrat. He and his wife belong to the Methodist
Episcopal Church, and he has been a member of the Masonic
society for fifteen years.

D. J. CUMMINGS, M. D., of Houston, was born in Jackson
County, July 11, 1845. His parents were Joseph and Malinda
(Faubion) Cumming, natives, respectively, of Lawrence County,
Ind., and of Tennessee. In early life the Doctor attended the
common schools and later received an academic education in the
schools at Clear Spring. At the early age of eighteen he volun-
teered in the service of his country. The date of his enlistment
was December 17, 1863, and his regiment was the Ninety-third
Indiana Infantry, with which he served in several battles, and at
the close of the war was honorably discharged. Upon his return,
finished his schooling in the academy and began the study of
medicine with Dr. W. H. Smith, at Leesville. In the fall of 1868
he began a course in the Miami Medical College of Cincinnati.
In the following May he located at Houston, where he has suc-
ceeded in building up a large and lucrative practice. His first
wife was Sarah E. Starr, of Lawrence County, and this wedding
was solemnized July 26, 1866; three children were born to this


Click to view Original Scan
Previous Page(s) Next Page(s)

Back to start page